Monday, June 10, 2024

My Medical School Journey: The Roots of the Tree

This is a "tell-all" series regarding my medical journey. But I'm going to have to start this series of blogs with something very cliché.

"Since I was a kid, I've always dreamed of becoming a great medical doctor."

As an Asian kid, two main reasons drove me to have this dream. Firstly, I looked up to both my grandparents who were both medical doctors: one was a pediatrician and the other was an internist. Whenever we go into their house, they always have overflowing gifts from different people and medical agencies/companies/representatives, and even politicians. They were "rich" in my eyes; living abundantly and comfortably. I wanted to be like that too. I wanted to give my parents a really good life like what they have. And the second reason was that in the Philippines, doctors were regarded with the highest respect and medicine is seen as a very noble profession. These two reasons fueled my desire to strive to become one in the future.

Hence, all throughout schooling, I made sure that I will have a fighting chance to achieve my dream by building an outstanding academic resume. I applied to Universities for a pre-medical course and I was blessed enough to graduate from the University of Santo Tomas with a Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy (OT). My family and I were able to overcome the financial difficulties; I was a working scholar and that covered the tuition fees, and my parents and eldest sister covered the miscellaneous fees and living expenses. God carried our family through it for 5 long years. I studied hard, however, sometimes fate has a way of being funny, and so even though I wasn't able to graduate with cum laude by missing a mere point something, I still emerged as the most outstanding OT intern/student for our Batch of 2013.

UST CRS Commencement Exercise Batch 2013

It would have been ideal to go straight to medicine after graduating. But since our family does not have the financial capacity to fund it, after passing the OT licensure examinations, I worked as an occupational therapist. It was the only decision that made sense. I can get to practice the profession and earn to save up for medicine and at the same time try to give back to my parents or at least help out a wee bit with monthly expenses.

Occupational Therapist UK Registered/Licensed

I practiced OT for about 2 years in the Philippines until God led me to greener pastures, and got me a job in the United Kingdom in 2015. I worked for less than 7 years before starting this medical journey. I was an OFW who was able to bring over her parents, grandmother and younger brother to the UK for a 3-month vacation during my first year of transfer (in collaboration with my older sister and one of my aunts who are both British citizens) . Together with my older sister, we were able to have our house rebuilt into that which my parents dreamed of, and I helped with monthly expenses by sending remittance until my younger brother graduated from University with a Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology (now known as Medical Laboratory Science).

When I was able to save up some money and after having 'given back' to my parents, I figured it was time for me to pursue my MD dream. I was naturalized as a British citizen, I then took the UCAT and applied but all three Universities declined me for several reasons. Some of the reasons being because my educational qualifications are from the Philippines plus I technically have been out of school for about 10 years - making me a 'mature' student - having to compete with thousands of fresh UK graduates with 'better looking' educational qualifications (eg A levels, etc) than what I've got. Imagine: the cycle that I applied for had nearly 29,000 applications for only about 9500 spots. 

It was next to impossible for someone like me to successfully get into a UK medical school - not to mention how discriminatory the admission procedures of the UK system are. It was shocking how easily you can be discriminated against.

After failing to get into any medical school, I did my research and found that in the whole of UK, University of Warwick (UW) has a tie-up with a Caribbean school, the American University of Antigua (AUA), wherein after successfully completing the preclinical sciences (ie passing all 4 semesters over a period of 2 years) in their campus, a student can apply to transfer to UW and join the clinical rotations in the 3rd year. 

What's even funny, is that UW is about 30-45 min. drive from boyfriend's house in Rugby. And so, you might have guessed what happened next. I applied to AUA thinking that it was absolutely and completely an absurd idea. I knew that it would never happen anyway. But lo and behold, I got a reply back from the UK admissions team, I was interviewed and boom, I was offered a position for Fall 2021. You can only imagine the shock I had after receiving the letter from AUA.

The problem I faced after that was the reality that I needed to self-fund (ie pay out of pocket for ALL of the expenses: school fees and living expenses) because the UK government would not give any financial assistance since the school is out of the country, and at the same time, I would have to temporarily live as a student in another continent.

Essentially, I would have to "drop everything and move to a Caribbean island which is about 7000 miles away from the UK, where I know completely nobody, and know nothing of their culture. I literally just have to be a student studying for 2 years ."

It felt as if God was testing me: to see whether or not I really want this dream or not. It seemed like the craziest and for sure, the biggest decision I would have to make especially during that time when I seemed to have found the perfect workplaces (ie I was working as the lead/band 7 OT in an in-patient rehabilitation unit in Teddington Memorial Hospital from Mondays thru Wednesdays, and with the Discharge to Assess Team in Wandsworth on Thursdays and Fridays). The teams were among the best people I've ever worked with, and I was earning so much more as a locum OT that I never had to work an extra shift over the weekend which I was doing when I was an acute hospital OT in Kingston Hospital for about 5 years. 

To be really honest, my life seemed "perfect."

I was perfectly content with all aspects - emotionally, spiritually, financially, socially... all except for my professional thirst and passion for medicine. I felt like my professional growth had been stagnant and I was no longer getting any job satisfaction no matter how well paid I was and even though I was surrounded with great people at work. "I was no longer happy." I couldn't see myself doing the same thing for the next 5 years. And I didn't want to feel that way everyday when I go to work. I felt like I needed to and that I owed it to myself to try to pursue my MD dream by hook or by crook. God gave me a sign and told me to go to Antigua.

And so I've decided to chase my MD dream, and off to the Caribbeans I went.

For three semesters now, I was taking out a Richland Loan offered by a private US-based lending company tied-up with AUA. The loan covers 75% of the tuition fee (TF) and the remaining 25% is paid out-of-pocket (OOP). I got my aunt, one of my dad's closest cousins, who is a retired nurse living in California as my co-signer. And then by working tirelessly every term break, I was able to secure funds to cover the 25% OOP TF plus the living expenses (ie monthly house rent/fee and food allowance) for the duration of the terms. God has been carrying us through this journey.

God's perfect timing...

This system seemed to have worked with a little help from my parents, some relatives and friends. However, for the 4th semester, I am faced with yet another financial challenge as I would not be able to work enough weeks because I am going to undergo surgery to remove my right adrenal gland. 

Life happened...

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with Cushing's on my birthday this January 2024, which was like over a week before I go back to AUA for the 3rd semester. I didn't want to take a break or pause medical school so I decided to go ahead with the 3rd semester and aim to have the surgery over this summer break.

I had to go private and pay using the school's insurance because the NHS route is taking forever. Imagine, I was referred to the surgeon last January and up until now, I still haven't heard anything from them at all - thank you, NHS.  And now I am awaiting my surgery date this June.

We're praying that all goes well, and I can get to recover quickly so that I would still be able to work as much as I can to save up some money for MED4.

And thus, with a hopeful heart, I started GoFundMe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?

 

Template by Best Web Hosting