Monday, July 16, 2012

A Killing Spree

Our first day on Singapore was actually quite exhausting. It was actually a killing spree in so much more ways than one. First and foremost, the meet up time at the airport hours before our touch down at Changi International Airport was quite a killer. We were up and running by 3 o'clock in the morning. I really hate waking up so early, so you could just imagine how difficult it was for me to do so. And this is coming from someone who's not a morning person, really. And since I finished packing so late the night before, I was late by around 15 minutes because of the long lines at the NAIA gates.


Team White OTs at Changi International Airport

So anyway, we arrived at Changi Budget Terminal around lunch time. I was quite disappointed with the budget terminal. But when I got to ride the airport's bus to the main airport, I changed my mind. The airport was nothing but ordinary. It was a killer. Just how it is connected to the city through an LRT amazes me. The airport even had tactile strips (those markers on the floor), although I'm not sure if they cater to the blind or the deaf, or both. At the entrance to the station, there were machines where you can get to load credits to an EZ Link Card used for transportation, kind of like the LRT/MRT cards here in Pinas but way cooler since you get to use it for bus rides or paying purchases too.

We first dropped off our luggage at the V Hotel and then ate lunch at Bugis Junction where I had my first taste of authentic SG chicken rice. And boy, it was the bomb! It was such a simple meal but with so much taste that I actually wanted to order another round. But since we were on a tight schedule, I had to stop myself.

Authentic SG Chicken Rice
We headed towards some of the shops and then went back to our hotel to meet up with our professor. Our first day was dedicated to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital as I mentioned on my post, OT Ala Singapura, which is a different story, so you would just have to read that post.

LRT Stations




After half a day of touring at the hospital, we went to Ion Orchard to have our first blood of shopping spree at SG. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect from SG since I'm really not the kind of person who's very into knowing the different places of the world. However, I do love learning culture as I travel.


Tori Q



We first bought snacks at Tory Q. I bought 2 sticks of chicken skin for 2 SGD. It was actually quite tasty but since it's kind of bitin, you're gonna want to buy more sticks.

Then we went to go 'shopping'. But there were just too many shops at Ion Orchard that my feet were practically begging me to kill them. Really, though, all you can actually do there is go window-shop or buy things (if you do have money). But, hey, since I'm not really a shopaholic and also for the fact that I didn't go to SG to do just that, me and my buddy, Gia, just practically walked around and tried to search for good finds --- which failed, though.


Team OT

Ion Orchard

When we all got tired of doing just that, we met up and took shots in front of the mall. 


Quick OOTD in front of the mall
Then walked towards H&M, which was just around 2 blocks away. While we were walking, we saw this ice cream cart, and Gia said that we all had to try that kind of ice cream since it's actually one of the must-try's of SG. So we each bought, I think, a 5-dollar worth of ice cream. And mind you, they're really delicious and big that you'll actually get full. My ice cream was mint flavored with chocolate chips.

Eating SG Ice Cream Sandwich
It was really just a short walk to H&M, which was actually a 3 floors! The place was jam-packed, especially since it was having a sale. After 15 minutes of window-shopping, I finished touring the place and just spent the whole hour dedicated to just sitting on one of the chairs and watching people. There were lots of Filipino shoppers, and it never fails to make me smile whenever I hear them converse in Filipino. It makes me think that we're conquering the world, one shopping capital at a time.


Dinner at Makansutra
Anyhoo, after an hour of rummaging through clothes, we went to Esplanade to eat at a place called Makansutra, which was actually a small square of shops by the bay where you could eat, drink, and have fun while being spoiled by the beautiful view of Marina Bay Sands, SG Skyline, and the Merlion statue.

I already forgot what we ordered, but it was actually a very hearty and satisfyingly large meal that we were all busog-to-the-bones after eating.

So here's a shot of what we ordered:


Too Tired to Function except when going to eat

Makansutra Dinner

And the aftermath:

What food?
Mind you though, water is actually a gold mine of SG --- so expensive! Then of course, we went to take in the view of the Bay before we got to go and look for our way home.

Marina Bay Sands as the background! woot woot

SG Skyline

It was a really nice spot from which you could appreciate such a beautiful landscape a full 360 degrees. It kind of made me think of my own country and realize how different it is from SG, which makes me sad and happy at the same time.

When the night got too cold, we decided to head back to the V hotel via a bus in front of Makansutra. We were in a hurry since we all have to be home by 12 midnight or else DMs (demerits) according to our professor. So when we got to V hotel on time, we had to take shots of our proof that all 7 Cinderellas made it home before curfew. 

Right before the clock strikes twelve! - V Hotel
It was a wonderful killer day --- a complete package of killed feet, killer walks, killer views, killed wallets, killed appetites, but definitely not killed fun.

Inside the Fancy Elevator (LOL)

Til SG day 2!

- Keso

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?

 

Template by Best Web Hosting